Mourning a race

Mourning your race, not just any race....


Have you ever reacted to someone’s sneezing a week before an important race? Could that sneeze be a possible threat to my upcoming race? To all my months of training? The early wake ups on weekends? That goal I have been working so hard for? If not that sneeze, what if I sprain my ankle changing a light bulb? What if something prevents me from running my race? Am I alone to feel like my body is like a rare protected specie the week before an important race? It sounds silly when I put it like that.... But is it? I’ve sometimes wondered how that would feel, if I had to miss an important race. But I knew it would never happen to me. Or could it?


I’m a single mom and have my kids full time, work as an O.R. nurse, work on call meaning sleepless nights and, I run. IRun because I love to run. I love how it makes me feel. Two years ago, I ran my first marathon in Ottawa. This year, I qualified for the Boston marathon and am on the list for the 2015 marathon where I will go with my two daughters. This summer, I trained for the Montreal Oasis marathon that took place September 28Th. I had done my best training ever! My training was aiming a 3:20 goal and I was ready. Like most runners, I always find time to run. I run after work before I pickup my kids, I run post call after sleepness nights and I get up early Saturday mornings for long runs! When taper time came around, I felt proud. I did everything right, rest, train, eat right and positive thinking.


Two weeks before the marathon, what looked like a heavy menstrual period, turned into a hemorrhage. It felt like a nightmare. I could not go more than 15 minutes without heading back to the washroom...My hemoglobin was going down, my iron levels went down to nothing and then I became symptomatic with shortness of breath, fatigue, headache, dizziness and very pale skin....
The week before M day, I went to bed early, ate everything that contains iron and prayed. With some medication, I was able to slow the bleeding down a few days before the race. On Friday, my doctor sat me down and told me I was not running on Sunday.....


The mourning process had already begun. I was in denial. I refused to think I was ill. I had done the training and I was going to run a 3:20 marathon on Sunday. But deep down, I knew he was right. I felt deep pain to my soul, emptiness and sadness. I cried!
But according to my colleagues and friends, this was just a race. I was sad for missing a simple race. There would be many more and I would come back stronger.
To me, it was MY race! It was running down the streets of Montreal recalling with pride everytime I put my running shoes on and did the training, tired or not. I am not an elite runner. I do not get paid to run and I don’t have to perform like a super hero at every race. But I run because I love to. I put my heart into every training. There is no medal hanging on my mirror, nor is there a new sportstat 3:20 time for that September 28 date. But I feel like 99% of that marathon was accomplished in training and I am proud for that.

I don’t know for you, but I strongly believe that there is a grieving process when you miss a race. I felt like my body let me down. I went to the marathon as a spectator and it felt bitter sweet. I wanted to run and wanted to see me finish at 3:20. I felt sad and even angry. But I was happy for every runner I saw out there. They inspired me to come back stronger and I will! Boston here I come!


I have since had surgery and feel relieved I will no longer have to deal with anemia. Till then, beware of sneezes J


Sarah Bachand
Mourning racer from Montreal



Commentaires

Enregistrer un commentaire

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Un examen pointilleux pour évaluer les besoins de formation des infirmières du niveau collégial!

Une ermite parmi des milliers d’humains. Un roadtrip au FEQ, de Gord Downie à Fred Durst, avec mes deux humains préférés

Réflections 2025